Website Bishop Lynch High School
School Bus Driver Job Description
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Faithful to Catholic Tradition and to our Dominican heritage of scholarship and service, Bishop Lynch High School promotes the development of the total person by bringing together a diverse community in a rigorous college preparatory environment where students are taught to strive for excellence, seek truth, and work for justice in the world.
A Bus Driver is responsible for the implementation of the goals of Catholic education as outlined in The Holy See’s Teaching on Catholic Schools (Archbishop Michael Miller):
• Inspired by a Supernatural Vision
• Founded on a Christian Anthropology
• Animated by Communion and Community
• Imbued with a Catholic Worldview
• Sustained by Gospel Witness
Qualified candidates will be driven and inspired by the mission of Catholic schools to form young men and women in a high school setting “who will be good citizens of the world, loving God and neighbor and enriching society with the leaven of the gospel, and who will also be good citizens of the world to come, thus fulfilling their destiny to become saints” (Miller, p. 20).
School Bus Driver is responsible for operating a school bus to transport students proficiently over specified routes to and from schools and various activities. Reporting to the Director of Transportation, the School Bus Driver conducts pre-trip inspections; observes safety regulations and policies; enforces student discipline on the bus; and performs related work.
JOB EXPECTATIONS & SKILLS REQUIRED
Qualified candidates will be able to perform the following duties at an exemplary level:
• Conduct pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections to ensure safe operation
• Transport students to and from school each day on established routes in a safe and timely manner; student’s safety is of the utmost importance in route and drop off at their final destination
• Drive additional extracurricular routes includes sporting events, practices, field trips, service, etc.
• Clean bus as necessary to maintain professional appearance and sanitation of vehicle
• Additional charter work on an as needed basis
• Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries and mechanical problems in a timely manner
• Exerts a positive influence and work in harmony with associates
• Respond to suggestions for improvement in a positive manner
• Display professionalism in working with students, parents, staff and community
• Maintain professional appearance
• Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Director of Transportation for the efficient operation of the department
• Education requirements include a high school diploma or G.E.D.
• Must be at least 21 years of age and possess a valid Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL) with “P” & “S” endorsements and school bus safety course
• Must have an excellent driving record
• Must pass a criminal history check along with a DOT physical examination and drug screen
• Ability to operate a school bus
• Ability to read and understand documents including policies and procedure manuals
• Must be physically able to perform and demonstrate emergency evacuation procedures (including pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds) and the ability to use emergency exits at any location on the bus
• Must possess the ability to maintain student discipline and ensure that student behavior is not a distraction to safe driving
• Must possess basic first aid and CPR certification or acquire such within a timely manner
• Must possess good communication skills and the ability to relate well with students and adults
Qualified candidates should email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.