Website Bishop Dunne Catholic School
Assistant Director of Athletics
Bishop Dunne Catholic School seeks to hire an assistant director of athletics who will advance the mission of the school, mentor and develop coaches and student-athletes, and be a positive participant in the school culture, including advancing the Catholic identity of the school, and develop positive relationships with school colleagues, administration and student-athletes and their families. Candidates must have prior middle school and high school athletic administration experience (DPL and TAPPS experience preferred). Candidates must also have qualifications to teach physical education or health classes.
Bishop Dunne Catholic School empowers each student to explore, inquire, lead, and serve through a college preparatory education in a joyful community of faith.
Bishop Dunne is the only Catholic diocesan school that enrolls students in grades six through twelve. The Seven-Year Advantage allows us to support students and their families over a longer period of time, so they are well prepared for college. The Bishop Dunne student body mirrors the diversity of Dallas, with over 75% identifying as students of color, and approximately half the students are Catholic.
General Duties: The Assistant Director of Athletics is responsible for assisting with the oversight of TAPPS, DPL, and UIL leagues, all athletic facilities, supervision of boys’ locker room, scheduling, equipment, grounds, and operations along with developing programs, coaches, and athletes, while ensuring the daily operation of the athletic department in collaboration with the Director of Athletics.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree; Experience as an Assistant Athletics Director or in Athletics Operations, preferred. 3-5 years athletic administrative experience, and a coaching background
- Willingness to serve as an advocate for the school and provide a visible presence at multiple athletic events as requested.
- Ability to think strategically
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Self-motivated, flexible, and detail oriented.
- Problem solving and multitasking skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with players, coaches, parents, faculty, staff, and administration
- Ability to inspire staff and serve as a leadership role model
- Proficient in necessary software programs, including but not limited to scheduling software
Hours: Monday – Friday 7:30 am – 4:30 pm. After school hours varied upon program needs. Weekend duties include attendance at games and practices, both home and away, unless delegated to another athletic administrator. Availability on Saturday and Sunday for DPL events is required. This is a 12-month position, with responsibility for sports programing year-round, including summer camps.
Reports to: Director of Athletics
Direct Reports: Game/event personnel (scorekeeper, gate, and concessions), security, and officials
- Bishop Dunne will have an athletics program that will help develop the whole student and support the mission of the school
- Bishop Dunne will be in compliance with TAPPS, DPL, and UIL rules
- Bishop Dunne will have a strategic plan for all of athletics that will include both middle school and high school, and will include facilities and budget that will move the school forward
- Bishop Dunne student-athletes will matriculate from middle school to the high school, and our athletes will graduate from the school
- All Bishop Dunne athletic programs will receive the attention of the athletic administrators and be given comparable support financially and in terms of facilities
- Bishop Dunne student-athletes will receive coaching and mentoring to assist them to play at the collegiate level
- Bishop Dunne athletic programs will be competitive in league and district play
- Bishop Dunne coaches will promote the Catholic identity of the school
- The Assistant Director of Athletics will play an active role in the school as administrator, teacher, and staff member
- The Assistant Director of Athletics will participate in admissions activities to support enrollment efforts
- Bishop Dunne will employ coaches who advance the mission of the athletic program and the school
- In conjunction with the Director of Athletics, the Assistant Director of Athletics:
- will be an inspirational leader of staff and student-athletes
- will serve as an advocate for the school and provide guidance and supervision at all athletic events
- will be a part of a team of school staff who work together to advance the mission of Bishop Dunne Catholic School
- will have the ability to think strategically and possess the ability to inspire staff and served as a leadership role model.
- will possess the necessary knowledge and background to oversee the athletic facilities and grounds for teams and rentals
- will assist with any financial operations to ensure adherence to athletic budgets
- will assist in strategic planning for athletic improvements at BDCS
- will understand scheduling and support coaches as they build their team schedules
- will be an excellent and well-organized game manager
- will manage TAPPS, DPL, and UIL which includes but not limited to schedule conflicts and site supervision
- assist with the organization of coach requirements in Rank One, TAPPS Scope, CPR Certification, DPL – Play Like a Champion Coaches Training
- will assist in BDCS game day setup and athletic event supervision
- will understand and educate coaches in BDCS, TAPPS, DPL, and UIL rules
- will assist in the hiring process of qualified coaches and athletic staff
- will embrace the hiring, education, mentoring and evaluation of coaches and staff
In conjunction with the Director of Athletics, provide management of all Athletic Facilities, Equipment and Grounds
- Provide reports to the Director of Athletics regarding the athletic fields and grounds to ensure that the athletic facilities are in proper condition and maintained: mowing, fertilization, aeration, seeding, dragging, painting
- As required, assist with the development and update covid-19 policies and procedures for practices, athletic events, home, and away games
- Manage the coordination of the weekly set-up, cleaning, and break down schedule for all athletic events
- Assist with ensuring effective and timely maintenance for all athletic equipment and athletic facilities
- Manage all athletic facility and athletic transportation usage requests (SchoolDude)
- Assist with the coordination of the master schedule for all year-round athletic facility usage needs for BDCS teams, grades 6-12
- Ensure all special accommodations are met for all athletic events
- Work with the Director of Athletics to ensure there is equity in the Bishop Dunne athletic program for both boys and girls
- Work with the Director of Athletics to ensure the athletic department inspires and develops young people to reach their potential in all areas of their lives: athletic, academic, emotional, and spiritual
- Responsible for athletic uniform management
- Ensure accurate uniform inventory, disbursement, and collection; provide ongoing development of process that is efficient, and manageable
- Encourage student athletes to reach their full potential emotionally, intellectually, and physically
- Assist with the development of a program that teaches valuable life lessons of character development, teamwork, hard work, commitment, and perseverance
- Instill the importance of good sportsmanship and respect for the rules, officials, and opponents
- Coordinate with team coaches the promotion of our student athletes to colleges and the visits of college coaches to Bishop Dunne
- Oversee the academic support system needed for student athletes to be successful
- Effective management of the Athletic Department calendar and events
- Manage the scheduling functions for all athletic teams (TAPPS/DPL/UIL), grades 6-12.
- Identify, plan, and maintain all athletic game schedules for each season to eliminate school conflicts
- Coordinate scheduling and manage all game personnel including, officials, scoreboard operators, scorekeepers, gate and concession volunteers, security, on-site administrator, and announcers for all events
- Plan athletic transportation in compliance with school policy
- Ensure all necessary physical forms, TAPPS/DPL/UIL forms, and travel forms are on file for players in attendance
- Assist with all athletic event management and supervision
- Ensure score keepers are scheduled and trained on handling of score board
- Assist in organizing on-campus team athletic banquets
- Assist with the end of the season ceremonies for each sport
- Provide department support to the Director of Athletics
- Provide support as needed in all TAPPS, DPL, UIL and championship hosting duties
- Support the communication efforts of the department including communication with families, and the athletic department’s presence on the website and social media
- Manage the athletic website, social media accounts, and weekly newsletter
- Assist with hiring and on-boarding (School Dude/Operoo/sportsYou) and training on other approved BDCS forms of communication and evaluation of coaches and staff
- Assist with the orientation of all coaches with regards to school handbooks, policies, and procedures and help to ensure adherence.
- Assist with the organization and completion of coach requirements in Rank One, TAPPS Scope, CPR Certification, DPL – Play Like a Champion Coaches Training
- Provide leadership and support through regular communication and annual staff performance evaluation
- Build relationships with feeder schools / churches / etc. and plan / coordinate / lead efforts to increase Bishop Dunne’s presence with feeder schools and churches
- Plan, organize, and hold events for feeder schools
- Attend admissions events and support admissions at the request of the Assistant Principal and the Director of Athletics
- Attend development events and support development at the request of the Assistant Principal and Director of Athletics
- Assist with the set up an online store with a vendor that allows for drop shipping of merchandise directly to the customer
- Assist with the management of summer camps and practices for all athletic teams
- Assist and monitor team tryouts/evaluation
- Manage the ordering of letter jackets
- Teach physical education/health classes, as needed
- Will supervise the boys’ locker room
- Attend faculty meetings and professional development workshops, and other events as requested by the Assistant Principal
To apply, please submit each of the following:
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts – Undergraduate and Graduate Level
- List of five professional references
- Statement of vision for an outstanding Athletics Program
Please email the materials to Ms. Anna Lee Friesen, HR Director (email@example.com).
All candidates must be able to pass background checks and comply with the Diocese of Dallas Safe Environment Program.
Bishop Dunne Catholic School provides a competitive benefits plan to eligible employees. The salary is commensurate with experience.